The 2018 Convention & Expo is the only statewide event dedicated to the business and educational interests of independent automobile dealers and their employees. Whether you are the owner, General Manager, designated dealer-operator, title clerk or an individual interested in getting into the independent automobile industry, this is the event where you learn about best practices for your dealership, about new Federal and state regulations and relearn those you may have forgotten, discover the many services and benefits available to help your dealership run more profitably, network with other successful dealers, and have some fun while you are at it.
- Twelve educational sessions will be available from which you can choose the four more pressing topics you want to learn more about. Thirty-three (33) vendors will be there to share information about their products and services.
- Network with members and officers of VIADA who can share the best practices that have helped them be successful.
- Make new friends and enjoy a fun evening at our Casino party.
- Congratulate the four district Quality Dealers who were nominated to compete for the coveted State Quality Dealer award.
And, congratulate and celebrate with our 2018 State Quality Dealer.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11
Noon – Registration Opens (Foyer)
1:00-4:00PM – Title & Registration Workshop (Princess Anne Room)
5:00-7:00PM – VIADA Board of Directors Meeting (Courtney Terrace)
7:30-9:00PM – EXPO Welcome Reception/Dinner with Exhibitors (Membership Awards Announced) (Peacock Foyer/Ballroom)
9:00-11:00PM – Hospitality Room (President’s Suite)
SPONSOR: Diamond Warranty Corporation
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12 | BEACH THEME
Hawaiian/beach themed resort attire encouraged.
7:00AM – Registration Opens (Foyer)
7:30-8:30AM – EXPO Breakfast Buffet (Peacock Ballroom)
Opening Speaker 8:00-8:30am: “What’s Next…Industry Disruptions and Futures Forecast”, Marty Coates, Waymaker Learning Corporation [Relevant data and examples of both current and anticipated industry and market disruptions will be presented. Participants will be both intrigued and informed regarding what is potentially ahead of us and how to be ahead of the curve to insure viability and business success.]
8:45-9:30AM – VIADA Annual Business Meeting (Election/installation of Officers) (Peacock Ballroom)
9:30-10:30AM – Concurrent Sessions, Expo Educational Sessions
- Track 1 – “NIADA 20Group Best Practices”, Rick Johnson, Earl’s Credit Auto Sales; Andrew Wiley, Consumers Auto Warehouse [A brief review of the best practices, ideas, and suggestions received from belonging to an NIADA 20 Group. From benchmarks to idea sessions, on site visits to composite reviews – learn ways you can save money, make more money, and run a better organization.]
- Track 2 – “Tips on Avoiding Lawsuits from Customers from a Consumer Lawyer”, John C. Gayle, Jr., Esq., The Consumer Law Group, P.C. [Hear from a lawyer specializing in litigation against manufacturers and car dealers on how to avoid being sued by examination of typical claims received in his practice; review some of the more important statutes dealers often violate in the sale of vehicles; Q&A focused on how to sell cars in a way to not get sued but remain profitable.]
- Track 3 – “CyberSecurity for Your Business”, Paul Blais, Senior Network Engineer, IPC Technologies [Information on how dealers can help to protect their information from threats, no matter how small. Make you aware of how to fight against the growing number of small businesses who lose money due to security threats and vulnerabilities. The biggest threat is usually from within. We will provide information to assist your company in educating your employees on security awareness to stop the threats from the inside out.]
10:30-11:15AM – EXPO Break (Peacock Foyer/Ballroom)
11:15AM-12:15PM – Concurrent Sessions
- Track 1 – “Succession Strategies for Dealers: Keep or Sell?”, Donald S. Hannahs, CFP Founding Partner, Planning Solutions Group [Attendees will learn strategies to enhance their dealerships’ value, evaluate multiple succession strategies, find third party buyers/operators, structure fair buyouts based on reasonable terms and valuations or conclude that their operations have little value and just need to shut down if they become disabled or die prematurely. A more secure financial future for all parties is the bottom line.]
- Track 2 – “Update on the DMV Study: Definition of Motor Vehicle Dealer”, Peter Iaricci, Sr., Director of Education, VIADA [Changes are being proposed and the impact it will have on dealers will be shared.]
- Track 3 – “In this Age of Technology…Have We Forgotten the Basics?”, Rod Heasley, Modern Auto Protection/KISS Concepts Group [In our current high-tech world of automobile sales and marketing, as owners and managers, have we lost sight of the basic fundamentals that got us to where we are now as successful auto dealers in our community? Let’s take an objective look at your operation and revisit some of the basics that many of your customers are seeking in their car buy experience.]
12:30-1:30PM – EXPO – Lunch Buffet with Exhibitors (Recognize District Quality Dealer Nominees) (Peacock Foyer/Ballroom)
1:45-2:45PM – Concurrent Sessions
- Track 1 – “Driving Profitability Through Performance Strategies and Operational Efficiencies,” Will Chandler, Divisional VP, NextGear Capital [Market forces and the rising cost of business—driven by increasing customer expectations—has placed renewed emphasis on how efficiently you operate and how connected your operations are. This workshop will focus on performance tactics and strategies for reducing dealership expenses.]
- Track 2 – “HR Issues Every Dealer Needs to Know”, Stephanie Lyles, SHRM-SCP, Senior Manager, HR Business Partner, Manheim Baltimore Washington/Manheim Fredericksburg [This session will provide an overview of HR hiring rules and compliance guidelines; top HR issues in the workplace and how to handle them including performance management, conflict resolution, terminations, sexual harassment, and more.]
- Track 3 – “Betting on Consumer Attention & Consumer Service”, Cody Healey, National Sales & Marketing Director, Diamond Warranty Corp. [Catching consumer attention with social media and digital marketing. How the best companies use modern customer service tactics to sell faster and expand their brand.]
2:45-3:30PM EXPO Break (Peacock Foyer/Ballroom)
3:30-4:30PM – Concurrent Sessions
- Track 1 – “Road to Reinsurance with the VIADA Certified Program”, Tim Byrd, DealerRE [The benefits of owning a producer owned insurance company while offering the VIADA Certified Program.]
- Track 2 – “Are You in Compliance With the MVDB?”, Peter Iaricci, Sr., Director of Education, VIADA [Learn about the latest changes that were made and get your questions answered.]
- Track 3 – “Developing Your Distinctive Global Impact (DGI)”, Marty Coates, Waymaker Learning Corporation [Discover how to focus on each dealership’s distinctive competitive advantage. We will lead the group to drive their dealership operation toward the unique characteristics that set them apart from their competition. We will show the attendees how what we do can have a lasting impact that reaches far beyond the dealership lot.]
5:30-7:00PM EXPO Reception/Dinner Buffet with Exhibitors (Peacock Foyer/Ballroom) [The Ladies Auxiliary will be auctioning off 8 beautiful themed baskets during dinner. Cash, checks, and credit cards are accepted and will benefit a worthy cause.]
7:00-10:00PM Casino Party w/Prizes for Big Winner/Loser (Peacock Ballroom, Section A)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13
8:00AM – Registration Opens (Foyer)
8:30-9:30AM – Breakfast (Peacock Ballroom BC)
Closing Speaker 9:00-9:30am: “Magic, Mama and Money…Lessons on Success and Life”, Marty Coates, Waymaker Learning Corporation [Magic will be used to demonstrate business lessons, advice from Mama on life, and practical teaching on business success.]
ENJOY THE BEACH & LOCAL ACTIVITIES – Beach; Golf; Adventure Park; Brewery; iFLY; etc.
6:00PM – Registration Re-Opens (Foyer)
6:30-7:00PM – Grand Banquet Reception (Peacock Foyer/Ballroom)
7:00-9:00PM – Grand Banquet Dinner (Outgoing/Incoming VIADA Presidents Recognized; State Quality Dealer Announced)
SPONSORS: Manheim Fredericksburg and Harrisonburg Auto Auctions (Peacock Ballroom BC)
9:00-11/12:00PM – Hospitality Room
SPONSOR: Diamond Warranty Corporation (President’s Suite)
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14
11:00AM – Check Out